1855 – 1949
Hamilton Burgh Police was established in 1855 at which time its establishment was about 9 officers. By 1900 this had increased to 32 officers.
Chief Constable Thomas G. Smith and his Deputy, Inspector Forrest, both retired on the same day in 1949. Due to financial constraints the Burgh Council did not advertise for a replacement and approached Lanark County Council for agreement that the Chief Constable of Lanarkshire Constabulary, Thomas Renfrew, would take charge of the force whilst still retaining its Burgh status.
1958 – 1967
In 1958 Hamilton Burgh appointed a new Chief Constable, Robert B. Gordon with an establishment of 67 officers. It remained a Burgh force until 1967 when it amalgamated with Airdrie, Burgh, Coatbridge Burgh and Motherwell & Wishaw Burgh to become part of Lanarkshire Constabulary. At that time the force had 92 officers.
The Burgh coat of arms has three silver coloured and pierced cinquefoils (a full faced flower with five petals and no stalk). Above shield is a helmet and above that is a flat wreath upon which is a pierced cinquefoil. The motto is ‘SOLA NOBILITAT VIRTUS’ (Virtue Alone Ennobles or Virtue Alone is Nobility).
1859 – 1860 Alexander Scott
1860 – 1876 James S. Cullen
1876 – 1882 Cmdr Wallace B. McHardy (Also CC of Lanarkshire Constabulary)
1882 – 1919 John Millar
1919 – 1922 John Clark
1922 – 1933 Charles Cheyne
1933 – 1949 Thomas G. Smith
1949 – 1958 Thomas Renfrew (Also CC of Lanarkshire Constabulary)
1958 – 1967 Robert B. Gordon